Saturday, November 22, 2008

It makes you wonder what they turn down

Commercials folks, I'm talking about commercials. Have you ever really thought about how bad some of them really are? And on top of that how much money is wasted on those bad commercials when it could be going somewhere useful? Being a regular consumer of well, pretty much everything, I'm all for commercials - as long as they are good. You'd think with the threat of DVR's and being able to watch your favorite show on your PC, that would give the advertising folks a little incentive to come up with something clever, witty or at the very least a snappy little tune you can't get out of your head. I mean some of them are just plain awful (How many of you have seen those gross toe fungus commercials with the fungus beast that rips off that guys toe nail or if you really think back, Paul from the Diamond Center - remember that guy? Just plain ridiculous) Who backs these sorts of visual abominations? Shouldn't someone actually watch them before they go on the air? And, dare I ask, what is deemed so bad that it ends up on the cutting room floor? Yikes. Yet as I sit here and bitch about them, a thought has crossed my mind; even being as terrible as they were and are, I remember them, so was the marketing ploy successful after all?

Won by a technicality.

Touché advertisers, touché. Just remember, you may make me remember them, but you can’t make me like them.

3 comments:

Douglas said...

I used to think the same way. But many years back there was this "Mr Whipple" commercial. The product was Charmin toilet paper and Whipple was a supermarket guy who admonished the little old ladies (and everyone else) to "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." He was annoying and he was everywhere and he was the butt of jokes and leaked over into the popular culture of the time. But you never forgot the product name. So, stupid, annoying, silly, who cares? The point is to weld the product name into your head. People do plan and carefully execute those commercials, nothing is left to chance.

JeaneBee said...

My pet peeve is the commercials (usually regarding cars) that want you to buy something that "you deserve". Yes, I'd like to own a Lexus, new house, even a summer home in the Caribbean...but do I "deserve it"...not hardly!

JeaneBee
http://kuperthedog.blogspot.com

Michael Horvath said...

When I see those really bad commercials I usually say "I ain't buying from them that's for sure". Usually it's the local ones that are the worst of the bunch.

Me

My photo
31 years old, no where near where I thought I would be at this age and damned curious to see what lies around the next corner...
Powered By Blogger