Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Go sell your shit somewhere else, I'm full of it here

So I go to school (community college) 2 nights a week after work and tonight just happened to be one of those nights. I headed over right from work because last week was the first week of school and traffic was horrendous. No repeats this week please) My over eagerness to get there on time got me there about an hour early, so I decided that I would make good use of my time by going to get a coffee in the cafeteria and do some studying till class started. I go get my drink, head to a table, spread my stuff out and get into some serious reading and note taking when I get approached by this young guy who starts talking to me, asking me what I'm studying, what I do for a living etc. I ask him what he wants and he says he's selling magazines, but he really wants to just talk to me. Now he's cute, but he's bugging me. I'm not in the mood or frame of mind to deal with this and I flat ass tell him that he can talk all he wants, but I'm not buying anything he's trying to sell. "Figure that out after I talk to you" he says. "Go for it" I reply.

He tells me the traveling salesman story of how he's a 25 year old guy from back east and only working here for three days selling magazines of a 'higher caliber' and he's already sold 47 today and only needs to sell 50 total to make his final goal. Cry me a river guy. I say I'm really not interested and then he starts asking me things like IF I were to get one of the magazines, which one would I get? IF I just wanted to donate the subscription, which organization would I donate it to? etc. While his schpeal is going on, he keeps telling me how pretty I am, how he hopes I give him my number, cause he'd call me no matter what - as a matter of fact, what was I doing Saturday? He'd love to take me out and do whatever I wanted - but why was I looking at him like that? He was going to call me no matter what...

Please. My crapometer is in full working order and you just set it off. And by the way, If I were going to pay $40.00 for a goddammed magazine subscription, I sure as fuck wouldn't be donating it to someone else kay? Oh and if today is Wednesday and you are only here for three days, you probably won't be here Saturday right? Som-ting-wong.

All this results in like a 15 minute conversation (he was cute and a smooth talker I'll give him that one - just picked the wrong chick to try and work over) and he asks what address he can send correspondence to and I give him my old work address (keep your junk mail) and then he asks me if I have my check book and I say nope, I carry cash and he gives me a high five, says "That's even better" hand's me a receipt that he had started filling out while we were talking and hold his hand out like he's expecting money and says "It's $42.65". So I give him a 'five' right back and said "Well, that's all your getting from me" and he looked at me like I was crazy and well, here's how the rest of the conversation went:

Him: What are you doing I thought you said you had cash?

Me: I do. That's how I bought myself this coffee. But I'm not giving any of it to you.

Him: (looking incredulous) What are you talking about? You just said that you would buy two magazines - you even picked out what charities you are going to donate them to!!

Me: You said IF I I was to pick magazines remember? I told you before you sat down that I wasn't going to buy anything you were selling? I'm sorry.

Him: I agree, I can't believe you would sit there and lie to me.

- Then he walks away. I'm sitting there in utter disbelief that he seems so upset by this. Then, I slowly start to process what he just said to me. That mother fucker just called me sorry because I "lied" to him? Are you fucking kidding me? Then, unbelievably enough he comes back over to the table and asks me again:

Him: You are really not going to buy anything from me after you just promised you would?

Me: Again, I'm sorry guy, but -

Him: (Cutting me off) I agree.

Fuck you punk

Me: So, wait, does this mean we aren't going out Saturday? I mean, you just promised you would call me no matter what...you just promised!

Yup, turn around and walk away - bye, bye asshole.

4 comments:

Bevie said...

The S.O.B.'s lucky he didn't talk to me. Talk about Bullsh*t!

I'm glad you've got sense and sent him on his merry way. Pity you didn't tell him f*ck off to his face. I would of "accidentally" spill my coffee.

You wrote this well. I'm p*ssed off and it didn't even happen to me. [grin]

Hope your class went well.

Hey, I like your music, too.

Have a good day.

Me said...

Thats what you call hard sell. I bet he finds enough suckers that fall for that kind of manipulation. Good for you that you stood your ground and didnt fall for his bull.

Bevie said...

Are you okay? It's been a while since you've posted anything.

How are you doing?

Bevie said...

Do wish you would post something.

I'm kind of concerned at the silence.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Me

My photo
31 years old, no where near where I thought I would be at this age and damned curious to see what lies around the next corner...
Powered By Blogger