Monday, August 17, 2009

A lot of people like me, but only a few really know me - which is probably why so many people like me

I came to that conclusion earlier this afternoon and while I think I've always known it, I really actually payed attention to it for the first time today. It all started last Friday when my new boss asked me to take a personality test. I was a little surprised, but actually kind of pleased. I mean I have never had a boss who cared enough to see what my personality was all about and furthermore share with me the same about them. I took it as a good start to what will hopefully be a strong bond...

Anyway, so I take this Meyers-Briggs test and discover that I am an EFNJ. Basically, sensitive and hardworking, likes to be praised, dislikes criticism etc., etc., (even though most of us know how we are, it's still tough to read about yourself so blatant and open) but perhaps one of the things that stuck with me the most is how my "type" are people persons and being as such we tend to shift/shape our attitudes and behaviors from moment to moment based entirely on our present company not only to make our lives easier, but theirs as well.

To be honest, I know I do this - I read people pretty well and sometimes change the tone of my voice or my energy level to accommodate certain people whom I know I speak or move too fast for, but how often do I do unconsciously? Today, I decided to not only watch my reactions to people, but also made it a point to stand firm on certain issues with my true self "Don't-give-me-any-of-your-bullshit-cause-I-won't-take-it" attitude and let me tell you kids, I don't think people like the real me. Not that I am a bitch (which I sure can be) but I am not always the self sacrificing door mat that others would like to take me for. Generally I do try and cater to other because quite frankly, it makes my life easier, but when I don't people seem to chalk it up to "stress" or "having too much on my plate" at the moment?

Wouldn't they be surprised if they really knew what my "type" is? Hence the conclusion that so many people like me because so many of them have no idea who I really am.

No comments:

Me

My photo
31 years old, no where near where I thought I would be at this age and damned curious to see what lies around the next corner...
Powered By Blogger