Monday, March 9, 2009

Adventures in dating - continued

About 30 minutes after I tell him to come on by, the doorbell rings and the nervousness begins to set in. As usual, my mind starts racing with 80,000 different thoughts such as:

Do you really remember what this guy looks like?
What if he gets totally freaked out by the house? (my step mom's taste in decorating is more than a little different, but that's a story for another blog)
What the hell am I doing even going out with this guy?
What are you going to tell the firefighter?
Am I going to tell the firefighter?
What if he's really a total jerk? Maybe I should take my own car.
If he's as hot as I remember, I sure hope I run into Dante somewhere.
I wonder if my dad will like him?
Hell, I wonder if I will like him?

I take a deep breath, open the door and - dear God - has he possibly gotten hotter than he was last night? A nice pair of jeans and one of those form fitting polo shirts that feels all silky to the touch and shows off those muscular arms I was hoping I didn't imagine. He smiles and says hi and I do the same and invite him in. He comes in, sits on the couch and starts chatting with the folks like they were catching up on old times. No hints of nervousness or lull in conversation and I am just sitting there thinking man, what is the freaking catch? Guys just don't do this sort of thing, at least not the ones I go out with. Hmmm, maybe I should rethink my caliber of men....anyway, we all sit there and talk for about 20 minutes and then we take off to go to this little corner bar to get a drink. What impressed me right away? The manners. He opened my car door, waited till I got in and shut it, so I reached over and opened his for him. I was under the impression that this is what females should do; I mean, it's what I've always done. In any event, he was quite surprised and said that no one else had ever done that for him before and he was touched by the thoughtfulness of it. Now I just can't wait to see what comes out of this guys mouth next.

So we get there, sit at the bar and start talking about hi-lites of the game, other sports we enjoy, life, things we like to do, what bugs us and again, we end up having great conversation. What's even better? This guy is funny. I mean, my type of humor funny. A little sarcastic, blatantly obvious humor with a dash of smartass. While all this is going on, he keeps scooting his bar stool closer to me, telling me how pretty I am, how happy he is that I decided to see him and he'd really like to take me out again. I finish my beer and although I am still trying to be cautious, I find myself more feeling comfortable and attracted to this guy than I want to be at the moment so I tell him I'm getting tired and ask if he'll take me home, which he does with no hesitation and says "I'm glad your ready. Not because I wouldn't love to sit here and talk to you all night, but I want to get home to my daughter and after last night, I didn't want you to think I had another date after you or anything." (insert a ridiculously cute little crooked smile here) Poor bastard. I had been ripping him up one side and down the other about the series of speed dates that he had recently been on, so this I took with a grain of salt. I laughed, said no worries and he took me back to my dad's. Once we get there, he pulls to a stop and I blurt out "You don't need to get out or anything you can just drop me off right here you know". Out comes that cute, crooked smile again and he says "Well, if I want to get out and say good-bye is that ok?" I laughed and found that I was actually a little disappointed the evening was going to be over. He gets out and walks over to where I am standing and again says what a nice time he had, how he wants to do it again soon and when can he see me again? I say I will call him later and let him know and he says "Ok, I'll be home in like 10 minutes if you want to call me then. I'm kidding! Well, sort of. I will just be happy that you call me whenever it is." So I look up at him (He's like 6'1 or 6'2 while I stand just over 5') and say "Don't worry, I'll call you soon" then proceed to launch myself up at him, give him a quick kiss on the lips, smile and say good night." He looks kinds shocked, then laughs and says "For a second there I thought you were going to attack me." to which I say "Good thing you were on your best behavior then huh?" and this time when I wave good bye, I don't look back. It must have worked cause I got a text from him a few hours later that said "I really want you to know what a nice time I had tonight..Good chemistry and you seem real. I like that. Sweet dreams and looking forward to hearing from you soon..." Giggling like a little girl I text him back and say that I have school and another appointment later on in the week, but if he wants to stop by for a movie tomorrow night I would be free. In less that 30 seconds I get one back saying "I'll be there around 7:30. What can I bring?"....

1 comment:

Bevie said...

You're back in action again, that's for sure!

I hope you have fun. I'm not you, so I'm still hoping you're cautious. But I hope you have fun.

Me

My photo
31 years old, no where near where I thought I would be at this age and damned curious to see what lies around the next corner...
Powered By Blogger