Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Nick Situation

Skip to the next day and I am a nervous wreck. The previous night found me running through the house like a madman, cleaning, straightening, arranging - you know all the stuff you do before company comes; especially really hot company that you are trying to impress against your better judgement. Perhaps you are asking yourself "What about the firefighter?" I know I sure did. Allow me to elaborate a little more about that whole scenario and it might help clarify exactly why I was doing what I did.

The last time I actually saw the firefighter was the beginning of January, the day he met Dante (but he still to this day doesn't know what role Dante played in my life) After that, his attitude towards me seemed to cool immensely (I'm pretty sure I blogged about it) and I would call him like two or three times before I would get a call back and then it was "Hey, I'm in Nevada visiting family" then it was "My car broke down so I am staying with my buddies for a few days till it gets fixed" then, "They need to order my car part, so it will take a week or two to even get here" and never once a "Hey, I miss you" or "I wish you would come and see me" (which I would have) and of course missed out on yet another family event (and I am very big on family) and the one thing that really stuck out in my mind - not even a text or a phone call on Valentine's Day. Super ouch. You know, it's not like I am expecting gifts, but really man? I've invested a year in you and you can't even pick up the phone and say hi? Gosh, maybe that's broken too. This whole episode really drove home for me how much I needed to let this guy go, no matter what the attraction. From that point on I stopped calling him and focused my attention on Nick which was becoming easier to do for multiple reasons which I will divulge later on. But what would be a good Mia story if I didn't have some sort of conundrum to still deal with. The issue? I still haven't told the firefighter that I am 1. wanting to break up with him (can you break up with someone you aren't sure your going out with?) and 2. Because I am seeing someone else. I feel that I should at least let him know what's up. The reason you ask? Because for the last week he has been blowing up my phone like he thought I died and came back from the dead. All the messages are the same "Just thinking about you and missing you. I guess when you find some time call me back." I don't call him and I get "I hope you are ok. I'm just worried about you and trying to track you down. I guess your time is pretty well monopolized, but I wish you would call me." and so on. What the stink? And people think chicks are complicated. To be fair I have called him back three separate times and he has been with his friends, family or literally getting ready to drop off to sleep and no matter what I just didn't have the heart to blurt out that I wanted to stop seeing and talking to him like that. I'd like to do it in person, but when the fuck am I going to see him? He left me a message last night saying that he wants to come and see me on St. Patricks Day - so now what? Do I wait till then or sack up and call him now and just do it over the phone? One last item of fun - Nick is still out of the loop on all this too. Good times.

Ok, back to the second date (if you will)

Nick gets to my house around 8:30 and we decide to just hang out on the couch, have a glass or two of wine and watch Tropic Thunder. For all of those who have scene it, you know what a terribly offensive movie this is. The best part is that we both loved it. We have the same sick sense of humor, laughed at the same shit, made the bad jokes about the movie and ended up scooting and snuggling closer and closer on the couch until I had my arms wrapped around his torso and he had his arm over my shoulder, hugging me and playing with my hair. Now, as I've said before, he is not a big drinker and at this time he has had one and a half glasses of wine which is his limit, and I've just finished glass number 3. As I'm hugging him, head resting on his tummy, I could swear I am feeling something rock hard against my forearm. "It must be his jeans. It has to be his jeans. Holy shit, I don't think that's his jeans. Oh. My. God. He is freaking huge." All the while he is rubbing my back and letting out little sighs, so I move my arm up a little and yup, the bump I was feeling goes away. I slide my arm back down and this time get a shudder and a sigh. I pull back and look up and he leans down to kiss me. Oh man, slow and sweet yet absolutely intense. I'm running my hands over his muscular arms as he holds my head telling me how he can't believe how lucky he is to be there with me, how beautiful I am, how he hasn't been able to keep me off his mind since he saw me etc. The kisses get a little faster, more demanding and soon, it's all I can do to try to keep my mind focused. Ok Mia, time to slow down, way down. I pull back and away, say I have to use the restroom and almost run from the room trying to compose myself. I decide that if I don't put the kibosh on this right here, right now, I was going to rip this guys clothes off and wreck this fool. Good God, I sound like such a slut. In my defense in a years time, the firefighter and I slept together 3, yes 3 times and the first time was 9 months after we met.

Anyway ~

I walk back out into the living room, sit next to him on the couch and say "I've had a really nice time, but you have to go." The look he gave me was of utter disbelief. He sputters out "I'm really sorry, I usually don't get that aggressive with someone so soon. I didn't mean to upset you or anything." I laughed and said "Honey, I'm not offended, but you still need to go ok? I really did have fun and look forward to doing it again, but you still gotta go." I stand up, he follows suit and looks depressed and somewhat crestfallen. I on the other hand, am looking at this fool thinking good Lord, this guy is gorgeous and he clearly wants you - why in the hell are you throwing him out? You know why kids? Cause I wanted him to come back. I wanted him to realize that no matter how good looking you are (or you think you are, cause he clearly knows he is) not every chick is gonna sleep with you right away to try and keep you. After everything else with Dante and me hanging in there and pursuing the firefighter for a freaking year only to be let down, I figured fuck it. Let this dude pursue me if he's up to the challenge.

He started to look genuinely upset and he said that he hoped I wasn't throwing him out because of his behavior. I laughed, walked over to him kissed him and said no, it was because I needed to keep us both in check. We walked to his car and kissed again and he said "Now you have really got me intrigued. No one has ever thrown me out before." I laughed and said "No dear, I just asked you to leave. If I would have had to throw you out, you and I would be having a very different conversation right now." I smile, tell him to drive safe and again, turn around and walk away. Second time's a charm cause I get a text later on saying "Hello beautiful. I have never met another woman like you and don't think I ever will. Can't get you out of my head and am counting the hours till I see you again. I know it's soon, but I'd like to take you away for the weekend if you're free..."

2 comments:

Bevie said...

You make up your own mind regarding the firefighter, but I honestly don't understand why you have to tell him your breaking up. Seems to me he already did that to you.

Telling him you're seeing someone else is different. In any case, it seems the firefighter made himself history.

In any case, I'm very impressed with how you handled your second date. You thought things through and made a decision based on rational thought instead of hormones. If you can continue doing that I'll really be impressed. Don't think I could.

He seems nice enough, but from your description there also seems to be an arrogance about him. Perhaps what is needs is the reality check you're giving him.

If you're going to have more than just a hot relationship with him, I'm thinking you'll need to establish that first. Might be wrong.

You do what you think is best. You seem to be handling it well thus far.

Bevie said...

So, what's happening?

You went quiet again.

Hope I haven't offended you with my comments. I don't mean to. I'm sorry if I did.

Me

My photo
31 years old, no where near where I thought I would be at this age and damned curious to see what lies around the next corner...
Powered By Blogger